Search This Blog

Friday, January 14, 2011

Left Overs

To truly manage a budget, one must be able to manage the left over situation.  Often when I cook, well almost always when I cook, because of packaging and recipe servings, I have lots of left overs.  This would not normally be an issue, except I HATE leftovers.  now my honey would eat his way through the fridge, no matter its' contents but I don't like anything twice. This however, often can not be helped therefore one must learn how to create something from something else.  Hence Mexican Lasagna.  I had some left over fajita skirt steak which I marinated in green chilies  and just stacked it with the other all too common left overs such as half used cans of re fried beans, some steamed rice, mexi cheese and black beans all between corn tortillas that I pan fried.  It was D-licious!


Mexican Lasagna
Can Re-fried Beans
Bag of SteamAbles Southwestern Rice
Mexican Cheese Blend or Sub
Left Over meat of Choice (I used skirt steak)
Black Beans
Salsa
6 Corn Tortillas (2 tbs.oil for frying optional)
Sour Cream and Lettuce

Preheat all ingredients except cheese. In a skillet add oil and heat over med. high and preheat oven to 350 Add tortillas and fry until golden about two minutes on each side.  For a lighter option omit the frying. Spread re-fried beans on the first tortilla and layer rice and cheese.  Place the second tortilla on top of cheese and spread another layer of re-fried beans.  Add steak and black beans.  Add a spoonful of salsa and cheese.  Then add the third tortilla spread salsa on top and finish with a little cheese.  Then bake until cheese on top is melted. Serve with shredded lettuce and sour cream.

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious, I'm going to make it for Dan some time. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so sweet, Kelly! It was way good!

    ReplyDelete